Following the Constitutional Court’s momentous decision to nullify the outcome of the 2019 general election in Malawi, we caught up with one of the country’s most incisive and thought provoking journalists and political commentators, Golden Matonga, to ask him five key questions about the verdict and what is likely to happen next.
- Resignations from the Malawi Electoral Commission are likely.
- Far-reaching change is required to deliver credible elections
- An opposition coalition is on the cards.
- An opposition coalition would most likely defeat the ruling party.
- There is a possibility that the sitting President, Peter Mutharika, will choose not to contest the polls.